The Scourge Fleet is not the only enemy, Colonel Nasca of the Comet Empire lays a trap for the Star Force!
Episode Four is probably my favorite in the first season. It's got it all, introspection, human drama, a flashback... and of course, the WAVE MOTION GUN!
We had a small fighter battle in Episode One, a minor space battle in Episode Two, but this is the first beat-down drag-out fight of the series. Battles are fun to write, to mix and (let's face it) this is a WAR story so they're kind of inevitable. If this story had no battles, it'd be Star Trek. (rimshot)
One of the hardest things about producing this series, has been finding clean, iconic sound effects. You can't just simply record the build up to firing the WMG at the floating continent in the anime and use it here, you have to clean off the dialog. That's a long and laborious process let me tell you. The Wave Gun sequence took me the better part of a week to clean up... and then after I was done, I found a collection of Yamato sound effects on Youtube that was clean as a whistle. Head, meet desk.
This Episode is dedicated to Mr. Tim Eldred. Tim is the creator of the “Star Blazers Rebirth” and “Bolar Wars: Extended” webcomics as well as the artist on the short-lived Star Blazers comic/magazine from the 90's. His work has served as inspiration for this series, and rekindled my love of Leiji Matsumoto's work in manga and anime.
- Sea of Stars is written, produced and directed by Devin Cox, of Forward Momentum Productions.
- All music in the series is drawn from several commercially released CDs of music from the original animated series “Uchuu Senkan Yamato.” Many of the CDS have long since gone out of print, though some may still be importable through Amazon.com.
- All the sound effects for Sea of Stars come from one of three sources: The original Star Blazers dvds; the “Sound Fantasia Yamato” CDs which are now out of print; and The Freesound Project, at freesound.org.
- Narrator: Mark “The ENCaffinated ONE” Kilfoil
- Jordan “Jordy” Venture: Dave Frizzell
- Pops McClendon: Devlin James
- Captain Derek Wildstar: Joe Harrison
- Mei Gideon: Silas Carder
- Joachin Reyes: Nathan Butler
- Sam Vandom: Philippa Ballantine
- Hans Schneider: Zach McCue
- Mac Stevens: Emry Kinney
- Michael Vega: Sean Hill
- Neville Drake: Scott Breakall
- Colonel Nasca: Andre de Almeida
- Most Holy Xavier: Nathan Butler
- Colin O'Donnell: Jim Perry
- Philippe de LaRoche: Allan Smithee